Where the natural ends and the supernatual begins…


George was kind of like Casper the friendly ghost. He flushed toilets in the middle of the night, opened cabinets and left us wondering who was walking around in the middle of the night when no one was home. He even made sure some of us were awake when we over slept, but I am jumping the gun here aren’t I? Let me fill in the time between Heampstead and now.

After living on Washington Street I had thought I had seen it all. The Victorian woman that I played with on a daily basis, the dark man that plagued my dreams for a few years and the few shapely mists that floated around the apartment building, but as I had said, I have accrued many stories in my life.

After the murder happened it really sank into my father’s head that Hempstead was no place to live. So he found us a nice ranch style house in Hicksville. The house was unique, when you first walked in you were in a large living room, there was a narrow path way that had four little steps that lead to the upstairs bedrooms midway through on the right, straight ahead was the kitchen and to the left was the dining room. The second floor held three bedrooms, to the far right was my parents, center was my brothers, he was only two when we moved in and to the far left was my room. The only other room on that floor was the bathroom, that was right next to mine. Pretty much sounds like a normal house right, well lets walk down to the basement, a fully finished room with a large stone fireplace on the right from the stairway, to the left was a built in bar and a very small bathroom that only housed a sink and a toilet, just off the the stairway was a door, when I opened it I found yet another stairwell, two basements in this house. When you descended there was one large room and two smaller rooms on the right, one housed the boiler, the other was empty. Now that you have the lay out of the house you will better understand just what happens and where every one was.

When we moved in we were all pretty excited, a nice big house with a huge back yard, it was the best thing that could have happened to us. So much different than the small one bedroom apartment we had just came from. We unpacked and decorated our rooms and prepared for our new lives here. Little did we know there was an extra person living with us.

The activity started immediately, the first night I was awoken to the toilet flushing. At first I thought nothing of it, I figured that maybe one of my parents had woken up. I took note of the time which was three am exactly. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

The next morning my alarm clock went off and I was hesitant to start my first day of school. The day progressed as it normally would, I went to school, dragged through my classed and boarded the bus to come home. When I arrived I walked in to see all the kitchen cabinets opened, I proceeded to close them then went to my room to listen to some music. After some time I became hungry and went to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat, all the cabinets were open again. I knew right off the bat what was going on. I called out to the empty house, telling the ghost that I wasn’t going to get scared of him, half jokingly told him to pick on my mother. From that day on the cabinets only opened when my mother was working in the kitchen.

That night again the toilet flushed at exactly three am. I decided to get up, annoyed that I was woken up yet again, but found everyone to be sleeping. I rolled my eyes knowing who the culprit was and climbed back into bed. I went to school the next day and told a friend of mine what had happened. She had the idea of bringing the Ouija board to my house that weekend to see if we could make contact with him. The remainder of the week progressed pretty much quiet, the toilet flushed every night right on cue and the cabinets held a mind of their own. My mother believed that there was a spirit behind the cabinets, however my father did not believe my tales of the supernatural.

Friday night was finally here, my friend Michelle came with the board, we decided to sit in the basement where it was quiet, both our hands on the oracle as we asked it questions, what unnerved me was that I heard the answers in my head. First they were simple yes and no questions, are you a ghost?… yes it went to, do you want to hurt us…. no it hovered over, then she asked what his name was. Now mind you I could see the board clearly, we took notes as to the letters it spelled out, G.O.R.G… Then I heard the argument in my head, he was having trouble seeing the board and I feel he was trying to use me for guidance. I remember getting angry, and yelling out “Where the hell is the God dammed E?” Well of course now Michelle thought for sure I was pushing the eye making the whole thing up, but it wasn’t me, it was George using me. I remember pulling my hands off the oracle and they were cold, and actually sore. Well none the less I knew it was him, and he had used me to operate the oracle. This was the first time that a spirit had used me for anything. I was actually excited about it.

A few days passed and nothing other than the toilet flushing on cue really occurred. My Aunt and Uncle moved into the basement, limiting my time there. As soon as they did things began to happened to them as well. In the third week my dad was at work, my mom was downstairs with my aunt and uncle and my brother and I were sleeping upstairs. The three of them heard someone walking around on the first floor of the house. My mom thought at first that it was my father, but he was working the late night shift and wouldn’t be in till morning. My uncle went upstairs to check it out thinking maybe my brother or I were up roaming the house. He checked on us first finding us sound asleep, he then searched the remainder of the house, all the doors were locked and no one was there. He came back downstairs to report to my aunt and my mom that indeed George was on the prowl.

The cabinets opening became a daily ordeal, my mother would close them and he would open them all right back up. She had gotten to a point where if she were cooking she would just leave them all alone. The toilet flushed every night at three am, like clock work. I tried to talk George out of relieving his ectoplasm so late at night so I could sleep, but he ignored my pleas, footsteps were heard when no one was home, and all this just became a part of our daily routine. If something went missing, we just blamed George.

One morning we had all gotten up and went about our usual routines and left the house, my brother and I went to school, my parents went to work, my aunt took my baby cousin to the doctor, and my uncle was alone in the house. He was sitting in the basement on the sofa watching T.V. when he fell asleep. Sometime later on, he heard a man’s voice call out to him.

“Bill get up, you’re going to be late for work.”

He murmured his thank you before realizing that he was alone in the house and nearly barrelled his way through the door. Now he didn’t believe our nonsense about ghosts or George for that matter. Well this was the turning point for him, he realized everything that was going on was in fact a ghost.

When we all convened for dinner that night, my uncle told us all what happened. We couldn’t help but give him a big fat helping of I told you so’s. He couldn’t believe it, he couldn’t believe that George was real, and helped him out none the less.

The day’s passed on and little more really went on, the foot steps were normal, and so was the rest of his behavior. A few weeks later, my aunt and my mother were sitting on the sofa in our living room chatting when they heard a large bang come from upstairs. Both women jumped wondering what had happened, my mother went upstairs to check things out. She looked from room to room only to find that nothing was askew in anyway. She told George to knock it off and went back down stairs to my aunt.

They went to the lower basement portion of the house still talking, my aunt proceeded to tell my mother, “That’s it, if one more thing happens I’m outta here!” To which George turned on my aunt’s broken clock radio, that mind you it was not plugged in nor did it have a battery back up source what so ever. My aunt freaked out while my mother laughed at her, “See Sally, even the ghosts don’t like you.” She laughed at my aunt. Well my aunt was furious, but it wasn’t long before her and my uncle found a new place to live.

Time went on, my parents ended up getting a divorce, George had stopped his nonsense for a while, I guess he understood what was going on. My mother moved out taking my brother and I stayed with my father. I began to revolt as teenagers do and George just remained quiet.

My father was working late one night and I decided to throw a party at the house. Well I guess George knew better, when things began to get a little out of hand he decided to scare everyone off, things flew off the shelves, doors opened and slammed shut, the whole house practically shook from his energy. Scared stiff all my friends ran for the hills and refused to come back.

Again the house remained quiet. My father and I moved, the owner of the house decided to sell. we didn’t have a choice. I left George reluctantly, staring back at the house as we drove away. To this day I still drive down Peachtree lane hoping the house is up for sale again, wondering what ever happened to my good ghostly friend named George.


2 responses

  1. ghost_in_the_machine

    Your best yet Kim, keep up the great job you are doing. 🙂

    January 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

  2. Very interesting topic, regards for posting.

    February 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s